What is a RESOLUTION??



Resolution

Definition:
From Google
  1. A firm decision to do or not to do something
  2. A formal expression of opinion or intention agreed on by a legislative body, committee, or other formal meeting, typically after taking a vote 
  3. The quality of being determined or resolute
  4. The action of solving a problem, dispute, or contentious matter
  5. The passing of a discord into a concord during the course of changing harmony
  6. The disappearance of inflammation, or of any other symptom or condition
  7. The process of reducing or separating something into its components
  8. The replacing of a single force or other vector quantity by two or more jointly equivalent to it
  9. The conversion of something abstract into another form
  10. The substitution of two short syllables for one long one
  11. The smallest interval measurable by a scientific (esp. optical) instrument; the resolving power
  12. The degree of detail visible in a photographic or television image


    I've never looked at the definition of the word 'Resolution' before now. 
    I've said it, year after year, "This is my New Year's Resolution!", and year after year, I have dropped that thing like a hot potato, most years before the month of May had even arrived!

This year of 2011, I had decided to lose weight, like so many of us do; And I made it until the month of August, when we moved and the elliptical sat in our new garage among boxes for a few months, and unpacking, decorating, purging our 'stuff' took precedence over counting calories, jogging and working out. 
Between January and August, I had lost about 23 pounds, which was right at my halfway mark. 

And now, I sit here, to openly admit, I have gained back at least, if not more than, 13 pounds of that...and my clothes barely fit again, and I feel miserable. 

But guess what?

January 1, 2012 is upon us, and we have another year for a brand new resolution. 

The first definition of RESOLUTION is one of my favorites. "A FIRM DECISION"
  • Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. 1 Corinthians 16:13
  • They are brought to their knees and fall, but we rise up and stand firm. Psalm 20:8
  • He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. Psalm 40:2
  • Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.1 Corinthians 15:58
I am making a FAITH decision to stand FIRM against the power that Satan has led me to believe my weight and food have over me! The only power over me is that of Christ Jesus who died for my sins and has brought me into freedom through the power of His Righteous and Holy Blood! And I fall to my knees to that power! I am HIS servant and my body should glorify Him. I should not indulge myself to food and laziness! It is sin! 

  • Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
The second definition I believe can be applied to group decisions: family, church, etc. Family resolutions are important; my family currently does not have one, but I am praying for my husband and I to discuss and pray on this issue and seek God's will for our family's direction and path, including our family issue with food and exercise. 

The third definition, in my opinion, goes right along with number one! BEING DETERMINED. Not changing your mind, or falling off the wagon. Resolving to stick it out! 

I like number four too: The ACTION of solving a PROBLEM, dispute or contentious matter. My friends, I have a problem with my weight and food! I have a dispute with the fat cells in my body! I have a contentious matter with my taste buds! And I am taking action against them all in 2012! 

I had to check on a few things for number 5: definition of the two words: Discord and Concord
DiscordDisagreement between people. ConcordAgreement or harmony between people or groups.
I can't really think of a way to apply this to my current weight issue, but I have a few relationships of discord in my life that I would like to resolve and bring into harmony. Some are simply in my mind alone. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I'm praying for your situation too. 

Number 6 is really cool: Disappearance of any symptom or condition! WOW! How about the disappearance of  my muffin top, thunder thighs and bubble butt! LOL I'm sorry! I just couldn't resist!  
But seriously, I am praying for healing from this condition...and for some family members that are fighting cancer as well. I know that we all know some folks who could use some resolution like this! Amen? AMEN! 

Definition 7: PROCESS of reducing and separating into components. Steps must be taken to take things apart. It took many pizzas, cookies, chips and cheeseburgers to put all of this together...and so naturally, it will take many jumping jacks, hours of jogging, hours on the elliptical and calories not ingested to take it off! There has to be a process! Step by step...it is not an overnight occurrence! 

And I will be stopping there with definition breakdown! Definitions 8-12 honestly bore me and I just couldn't think of any way to apply them. 
Besides that, 7 is a great number you know. Completeness. I think that these seven different definitions of the one word, RESOLUTION, could help me tremendously in my weight walk of 2012! 

I've just never looked at the concept of a New Year's Resolution. I've played along, spoken words that I really did not believe in. But this will be different! My New Year's Resolution is not just about weighing less or fitting into a certain size jeans. It is about STANDING FIRM and GLORIFYING GOD! 

That is what He has called us to do! That is our purpose in this physical life! 

Let's resolve to be obedient this year! 
Show the world that we stand on THE ROCK and will not be shaken! 



Praying for you for 2012! 




Comments

  1. See, my favorite was #9. But I like the word abstract, so I was drawn to it, and it more fits what I want to accomplish this year. My key words for 2012 are faith in action. About your weight... have you read Made to Crave? If not, hop over to Melissa Taylor's blog and sign up for the online study starting in a couple of weeks. I will be participating. I have read the first couple of chapters, and I am convinced it's a book my soul NEEDS to read. I just thought I would share that with you. Happy, happy new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I did Made to Crave last January, which is when I began my healthy living...it is a good study and I may just need to go back through it as a reminder.
    Oh my, Number 9 is a good one now that I look at it today in a new light! Wow! And it can be applied to many things, especially 2 Cor 5:17 and becoming a new creature in Christ! Thanks for your Outlook and opinion on this! And you have a Happy New Year as well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

~~Prayer & Moving~~

**Last Day of June 2011**